Forum rss-feed

Forum

Pico: Multiple Midi Outputs on Pico

written by: geert

Hi Mark,

To answer you original question in this thread, we've just release 1.3.7-unstable for a factory 2 setup for the Pico. This now contains 4 AU/VST instruments and 4 Midi output instruments. Is this what you're looking for?

Take care,

Geert
Eigenlabs Software Team

written by: bl4cksun

Thu, 2 Dec 2010 20:28:05 +0000 GMT

.... long rant typed.... read... deleted....replaced by....
I'm disapointed with this.....but understand if its your business model. However, if you are going to charge for support make sure your product comes with proper documentation and please make it clear on your website that you are providing software updates and support for one year only with each instrument.
I think this decision will ultimately destroy the community spirit that was forming on these forums.
Anyway this is starting to get long again so Im off to use some of my one year support.....

written by: mikemilton

Thu, 2 Dec 2010 21:32:37 +0000 GMT

I'm confident the costs will be appropriate and have no issue with a firm making sound cashflow decisions.

Indeed, I was astonished at the Pico total package when I first got it Given the (relative) cost of the unit.

I do think that community membership should not be a cost to the participant but would be happy to pay for ancillary components (and think that some things might be 'unbundled' from the lower cost products at some future date). Similarly, ot might be sensible (perhaps as an alternative) to have longer support periods for the more expensive HW.

I'm not looking for a free ride; just fairness and I suspect that will be forthcoming based on experience to date.

m

written by: shamharoth

Thu, 2 Dec 2010 23:09:15 +0000 GMT

I think that there are three separate aspects to this:

Forum - my opinion is that access to the forum should always be open. When buying a product, especially one so niche, this would be the first place I'd look. Granted, John's talked in the past about being undecided about whether to close the forum to buyers only, but I think this would be a serious mistake. Given the cost of a forum is negligible these days, my first assumption if I came to buy something and couldn't get access to the forum until afterwards would be that there was something to hide. Likewise, making users pay for access to the forum after a year is false economy, since you would lose the direct feedback from your most loyal customers - all that would happen is that someone would set-up an unofficial forum elsewhere and you'd lose that customer relationship;

Support via telephone/email - personally I'd not have a huge problem if this were a pay-for resource once the product was bedded-in. A lot of companies give you 30 days free telephone support after buying and then introduce a charge - this wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me providing the forum continued to address the common issues;

Software Release Support - this is the one that really worries me at the moment and I'm hoping that things have just been blown out of proportion. If it was a case of paying (a la John's example of Apple) for major releases once the main product is stable I'd not be adverse to this, but at the moment I'd agree with what some other posters have said where essentially we're performing free testing on an immature product. I've had my Pico for around 8 months and have had a non-beta release for less than a week. I was happy to buy knowing that things wouldn't work correctly, as I wanted to support what I saw as a good product and was willing to take the chance, but if I'd known that this would essentially reduce my software support by eight months I certainly wouldn't have been.

I think that given that all of this is currently speculation, someone from Eigenlabs, probably John, needs to set their stall out sooner rather than later and give people some clarity. It's a valid point that you make about the potentially long lifespan of the product meaning a limit to revenue in the longer-term, but equally you need to realise that people have given you the benefit of the doubt by buying a product that may only have a few month lifespan if Eigenlabs got into difficulties - introducing additional costs for loyal users at this stage would dramatically increase the chance of this happening, especially given the currently closed nature of the software. If the additional charges were for peripheral functionality, like the iOS app, additional soundfonts/sample banks, or even something like the OSC device driver that I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I'd happily pay for these if it meant they were delivered quickly, supported well and contributed to the longevity of the company - if paid content ended up being things like Workbench or even EigenD in general I must say I'd be furious.

written by: keyman

Fri, 3 Dec 2010 04:16:53 +0000 GMT

.... very late to the discussion, nevertheless, I'm on the "ride" and sure it was free, started with the PICO and embraced it with the ALPHA.

Hope we can "taste" a slice of the final "cake" that is being made, and somehow all contributed with some "ingredients" ( at least on the software side) and until now we only got small crumbs and flavors of the final "cake" ( always blinded in the dark).

Each passing day it's more clear the effectiveness of the "most expressive electronic musical instrument ever made".... let's keep it this way!

keyman

written by: steveelbows

Fri, 3 Dec 2010 11:25:13 +0000 GMT

Thanks for the additional thoughts John. Perhaps my views have been coloured by what happened to my account, not being able to post on the forum at all nor get to the software section of the site at all was very alarming, if you dont plan to have that happen to users as soon as they reach a year of ownership then some of my rants are void.

I have no problem with you charging for a variety of support stuff after a year. I just dont think the forum should count, especially as community feedback is essential and only a subset of the userbase contributes to the forums in the first place.

Although I dont feel I should have to pay for workbench, I would if it came to it. If at any point in the last year I had thought I could have paid to get some of the features I wanted within a reasonable timeframe, I would have. Paying for minor updates I have a bit more trouble with, and losing access to download versions of software that were already out when the year ended really did not go down well with me at all.

In an ideal world I really preferred the model where you would offer additional software 'native' instruments and users could pay for those. But considering all the other changes to software that are the priority these days, and unknowns about quite how many people would buy these additional instruments, I can see why you may not think this will be enough to bring in the revenue you need for further software dev.

Its a tricky one, users have come to expect much from this world of cheap hardware, and there has been quite a fall in the total cost of ownership for a range of computer-related music stuff over the last decade. I doubt its ever been easy to be a relatively-small hardware manufacturer, and certainly not these days. When I look around my room at the hardware I have accumulated over the years, very little of it has incurred additional costs for me as the years roll by, But when I look at all the software I have purchased, I spend considerable sums every 12-18 months in purchasing upgrades to major new versions, and I expect to.

I feel kinda bad for opening this can of worms, and my opinion may be tainted because for me support has meant in nearly every instance me asking 'can I do this' and the answer coming back 'not yet', which is quite understandable but not something I feel like paying for.

Fri, 3 Dec 2010 13:12:49 +0000 GMT

There is another issue that is woven into this, which I'll get to below.

I hear strong support (excitement, even) for continued development in both the user and developer camps. Both of those parties also understand that this needs to be funded.

It seems that both camps also think we are 'not quite there yet' but there is no clear demarcation point where we are. Perhaps a thread on that point wold be worth it. It seems that the discussion of the harps as a performance instrument is part of this as, for some, that does not reach the threshold of 'there'. It might be that a 'studio version' emerges as an incremental option? (it would be a nice gesture if this was for new sales only or a modest update for early adopters - a common practice).

It is jarring to think that the forum (or access to present SW) is part of paid support. It is not uncommon practice to provide access to prior SW to be re-downloaded and I cant think of an example where users that do not upgrade are actively blocked. I would have had (will have?) the same reaction as Steve on that aspect.

Now to that other issue.... keeping a thing working. Tying the Eigenharp to a computing environment is a good idea for all the reasons that have been discussed here. However, computing environments are a moving target. I have performance devices that cost what they cost and will run until they rot (some electronic like my wavedrum or my VL1). I have other devices (like my Yamaha 01x mixer) that have been problematic since a few months after I bought it because Yamaha chose to tie it to MLAN and then decided it was not worth their while to keep current drivers updated. I'd bought over $100K of yamaha stuff in the course of a few years but the 01x was (and will be) my last.

My point is that, if there are to be paid major updates (reasonable) there ought to be clarity about the need and extent for some ongoing support for the users who are perfectly happy with what they have.

My personal take is that the value of tying the product to MAC/WIN implies the cost / commitment of ongoing patching of a few legacy platforms in response to the movement of the MAC/WIN setting. Certainly this is not a 'forever / free' thing but it is also not something that can be just cut adrift. Most vendors seem to provide support for at least one major release back (although the cynic in me suspects that some 'major' releases are driven as much by diminished support costs as by any real advancement )

I wonder if it isn't this last point, more than access to advancement, that is the worrysome issue for many of us on both 'sides' of the issue.

m

written by: dhjdhj

Fri, 3 Dec 2010 14:36:39 +0000 GMT

It was certainly my intention to use (and often highlight) the Alpha as a live instrument. But I want to use it the same way as I would use a MIDI guitar controller, wireless keytar, and various other devices), managed centrally by my core software (currently Apple MainStage).
However, given what I am now seeing as the plan for going forward, I'm seriously considering giving up and putting my Alpha on ebay for sale.

Sigh

john said:
And on a final note I will say that the design ethos of the Eigenharps is to be a musical instrument, a thing for making great noises, and for doing that live, onstage and with other musicians. This is our primary focus. It is not intended that its primary purpose is a piece of studio equipment, highly integrated into a rich studio setup, however useful it might be in that category.
John

written by: bl4cksun

Fri, 3 Dec 2010 18:40:16 +0000 GMT

Any timescales for when we will start to see the total cost of owning one of these instruments? It might be these charges are resonable and everyone will just accept them, all this discussion would have been over a storm in a teacup.

The last thing any of us want to see is a glut of harps up for sale on ebay as that will serious start to hurt sales, profit and long term support for existing customers. So please, come up with a cost model and publish it sooner rather than later.

Sun, 19 Dec 2010 08:31:49 +0000 GMT

Hi Mark,

To answer you original question in this thread, we've just release 1.3.7-unstable for a factory 2 setup for the Pico. This now contains 4 AU/VST instruments and 4 Midi output instruments. Is this what you're looking for?

Take care,

Geert
Eigenlabs Software Team

written by: LAYER8

Sun, 19 Dec 2010 13:00:32 +0000 GMT

Some thoughts on the support cost issue ...
First, I totally want Eigenlabs to prosper and depending myself with my salary on SW being sold, I kind of know what you are talking about.
On the other hand, subjectively I had primarily bought my Pico as a piece of HW with support SW. This might have been a wrong perception, but it's the way it was. So I'd really have a problem having to continuously pay to keep my Pico HW working. On the other hand, I think it is reasonable to pay for new features.
Given that Eigenlab's estimates on when features would be available have been terribly wrong, I think it is unreasonable to tie support to a one year timeframe. I suggest to adopt a model used by many SW makers:
Tie support to major releases of the SW - releases which add several new features, not those intended to fix bugs or keep the SW running e.g. with new OS versions. Those major releases should then be supported on new OSes for a reasonable amount of time - say 3-5 years. With this the cost of ownership is more predictable and you hava a chance to create an income stream as well.
For defining what is part of the first major release you should be generous and ask yourself "What features did we make our customers expect for the first year?"
OK, I know I don't have the insights to make any such decisions, but from the outside I'd be fine with a support policy along those lines. Sorry for not reading your terms & conditions when ordering.

Arnd

written by: Tenebrous

Sun, 19 Dec 2010 22:06:21 +0000 GMT

John said:

1.2 is a good release, decently stable and Windows 7 compatible. It's available right now. It might not have all the features that you want (what software ever does?)

... but it still doesn't support the Alpha.

Purchasing my Alpha was always a bit of a gamble for me, being a Windows user, but I borrowed a mac and fell in love with the Alpha itself. We all know the hardware is amazing.

I had to give the mac back and I certainly can't justify buying one. So I've not been able to play for 3-4 months. And now the prospect of having to pay more for continued support, and possibly forum access too? While I understand the commercial reasons I am a little disgruntled with this. I won't mind paying, of course, once it 'just works'.

I should have waited, perhaps, until Windows support was real and proven, and not just promised. But we live and learn, I guess.

Edit: to be honest, not sure how well something like this would sell on ebay, taking in to consideration the possibly short or expired warranty, and the future owner possibly needing to pay for ongoing support, forum access, software updates etc.

written by: john

Mon, 20 Dec 2010 09:42:48 +0000 GMT

Hi Tene

Didn't realise that you weren't playing your Alpha. Windows support is due for Alpha sometime early next year (without headphone and mic first, those to follow) but I can't bear to think of you staring at that Alpha and it not making any noise. I have a spare Mac mini I can lend you in the meantime, please send me your address (vi email, I'm john@eigenlabs) and I'll get it in the post to you as soon as the snow clears and deliveries resume (for those in the US and Canada, we've had a minor snowfall here, 6", and as usual the whole of the UK is completely paralyzed as a result). If we're lucky that might happen in time for the Christmas break, you never know.

John

written by: dkah

Mon, 20 Dec 2010 10:58:53 +0000 GMT

Two things:
First thank you John for the answer on the beta test post, but I don't just think of the unstable releases, but also really unfinished stuff, that your sales force or your PR thinks are unimportant, because it doesn't have mass appeal. But on the other hand your early adopters are a kind of PR you cannot buy.
On the pay for software part. Apple has a stable software, on a stable OS and gives Xcode and the possibility to make new stuff for their platform for free (as does Microsoft with Visual Studio Express) with manuals and howtos and really good resources online. I bought the Pico and not the Alpha because I was not sure if the Software (which is proprietary) does what I want, which is giving me a responsive controller I can use anyhow I want. The 4 AU, 4 Midi preset is a step in the right direction, but it is unstable. If you start start charging me for the forum and new software releases at this moment, where there are no manuals, the release notes are cryptic, the Wiki is cobbled together and missing information, the software is unstable, I will just stop using the Pico and find something else. If you want people to pay, you have to have something they want to pay for. I am happy I didn't buy the Alpha, imagine buying such a expensive piece of equipment and then having to pay extra, to have a usable software. I would probably pay for telephone support (if I would ever use any) or an iPad control version, if it is reasonably priced. I would probably also pay for a nice Ebook, with in-depth information, I won't pay for software that makes my hardware usable in the way I was promised (there was talk of open source wasn't there or did I only dream that). You decided you have to go the we-do-everything-different route, not using MIDI or OSC, now you have to provide the software that makes your hardware more than a piece of plastic, with some electronic components, because the Eigenharp is actually not even a controller and without EigenD it is completely useless. My WiiFit board allows me more freedom.

Mon, 20 Dec 2010 13:15:26 +0000 GMT

Oh, my. I thought this thread had gone to sleep.

You know, I've dealt with a lot of companies and I don't recall having a better support experience or anywhere near the same level of access.

I think the cutoff that started this thread was simply an unintended consequence of some web site coding. Also, observing that there needs to be a revenue stream to drive development is simply an honest and accurate statement

Looking at what has happened (vs what might)
- nobody has been cut off
- nobody has been charged
- the investors are still bearing this burden
- development and improvement has occurred apace
- issues are addressed promptly and as well as possible

I just don't think it is fair to be critical about what *might* happen. Also, while I expect that there will be ongoing costs to me I'm happy to look to my experience to date as indication that future changes will be fair and implemented appropriately.

This is a company that very clearly wants to create something and have it used; indeed it *has done* just that. Why anticipate that they might behave in a way we see other companies behave?

Finally, the issue of 'is this ting what you want' is separate from am I getting good support. If it isn't what you want nothing will help you.

It happens to be exactly what a lot of people want in a way that 'just-another-controller' isn't. Indeed, it happens to be a good controller as well (within the possibilities of the things that can be controlled).

I can get just as frustrated with growing pains as the next person and just as impatient for the next great improvement but I just don't get being less than happy with the support, speed of development or commitment we've seen. Also, I *really* don't get the anticipation of some ugly future change to become something so different that we experience today.

Ok: getting down off my soap box, m

Mon, 20 Dec 2010 13:38:40 +0000 GMT

I just want to add my agreement to this ---- I have still not received any contact from anyone at Eigenlabs to help me reconfigure my Alpha to do what I want, even though I was willing to pay (this was months ago). My alpha now sits unused and Eigenlabs looks like it's going in its own direction regardless of what many of its customers want and now we're supposed to pay extra going forward???

dkah said:
Two things:
First thank you John for the answer on the beta test post, but I don't just think of the unstable releases, but also really unfinished stuff, that your sales force or your PR thinks are unimportant, because it doesn't have mass appeal. But on the other hand your early adopters are a kind of PR you cannot buy.
On the pay for software part. Apple has a stable software, on a stable OS and gives Xcode and the possibility to make new stuff for their platform for free (as does Microsoft with Visual Studio Express) with manuals and howtos and really good resources online. I bought the Pico and not the Alpha because I was not sure if the Software (which is proprietary) does what I want, which is giving me a responsive controller I can use anyhow I want. The 4 AU, 4 Midi preset is a step in the right direction, but it is unstable. If you start start charging me for the forum and new software releases at this moment, where there are no manuals, the release notes are cryptic, the Wiki is cobbled together and missing information, the software is unstable, I will just stop using the Pico and find something else. If you want people to pay, you have to have something they want to pay for. I am happy I didn't buy the Alpha, imagine buying such a expensive piece of equipment and then having to pay extra, to have a usable software. I would probably pay for telephone support (if I would ever use any) or an iPad control version, if it is reasonably priced. I would probably also pay for a nice Ebook, with in-depth information, I won't pay for software that makes my hardware usable in the way I was promised (there was talk of open source wasn't there or did I only dream that). You decided you have to go the we-do-everything-different route, not using MIDI or OSC, now you have to provide the software that makes your hardware more than a piece of plastic, with some electronic components, because the Eigenharp is actually not even a controller and without EigenD it is completely useless. My WiiFit board allows me more freedom.

Mon, 20 Dec 2010 13:51:39 +0000 GMT

@dhjdhj, the new 1.3.7-unstable release should provide you with all the options you need through the new AU/VST/MIDI routing matrix. Anything that can be send out over MIDI is now easily set up in EigenD and can be sent to other software through the MIDI ports, if that's what you want to do. As discussed before, OSC is in the works and some parts are already visible through Stage. We're working on that as quickly as possible, reconfiguring your Alpha atm will not give you access to OSC. As far as MIDI is concerned though, I think we've about covered the whole spectrum now. Do let us know if something important about MIDI is still missing.

See here:
http://www.eigenlabs.com/wiki/Routing_Matrix/

(If I correctly remember your previous posts, you probably want the key position signal and transform that into whatever patch you're building in Max/MSP after combining with with other CC messages)

Take care,

Geert
Eigenlabs Software Team

Mon, 20 Dec 2010 14:52:31 +0000 GMT

Hi David

Geert is right, the new MIDI and AU/VST control and routing matrix delivers what you were after. We didn't build you a specific setup as you asked because these features were not possible without additional code, which is as ever time consuming to get right, and we intended a more general solution (that was already had that in the queue and scheduled to be done in 1.3), as we now have. As far as I am aware it covers all the features that you asked for. Sorry for not telling you it was coming, but we're trying not to do that any more as it usually seems to bite us when things take longer than we wanted.

I'd love to hear your feedback about the new 1.3 unstable release and in particular the MIDI and AU/VST control aspect when you've had a go.

The remaining thing that you wanted, a setup without audio, is possible but I seriously doubt it will make that much difference to load time. When profiled, the lions share of the startup time is in other areas. We might (and please note that this is 'might' not a 'will') add a setup to the Alpha set similar to the new Pico one (just AU's and MIDI outs) but these are quite time consuming to produce and much more importantly they add a lot of testing and support time to each release as well as additional coding time for upgrade scripts, so we're reluctant to do so before the 2.0 series starts, especially as it won't add functionality, just speed the startup a little (which is nice, but personally I normally sleep my laptop so startup time has proven less a burden than I thought it might).

John

Mon, 20 Dec 2010 17:14:10 +0000 GMT

This is all news to me --- but exciting ---- I will check it out as soon as I can (holiday may sadly get in my way this week).

Mon, 20 Dec 2010 18:20:13 +0000 GMT

@dkah - I notice that you said that you thought the Pico 2 Factory Setup was broken or unstable in some way - we haven't had any problems with it here - could you send us a bug report when you experience a problem? It would help us to track down the issue for you and get it fixed before it gets into formal testing release.

John

Mon, 20 Dec 2010 20:02:30 +0000 GMT

Yep --- although if this new mechanism has better control over external MIDI generation, then it may be possible to go directly into MainStage and just configure the various parameters directly. That would be terrific.

geert said:
(If I correctly remember your previous posts, you probably want the key position signal and transform that into whatever patch you're building in Max/MSP after combining with with other CC messages)

Please log in to join the discussions