Forum rss-feed

Forum

Pico: Playing accidentals

Most Recent

written by: Seth

The issue with changing the octave key is threefold:

1) I really need the octave keys to be there so I can change octaves. Everything I play requires more than the two octaves available when using a standard western scale. I use the octave keys a lot.

2) The octave keys are too far away to press quickly and reliably for this purpose. My fingers are small and it is too far for me to reliably stretch my little finger over the function keys (scroll keys) quickly and accurately to press an octave key for a quick accidental and then press the other one to go back again. As an aside, my preference of having the function keys (that is, the scroll keys in the default setup) in the middle instead of the bottom would make accessing the octave keys so much easier.

3) It does not solve the problem at all of wanting to play a polyphonic chord with one note different. I play a lot of modal stuff. The ability to suddenly just add a flat 9th when playing a 1-4-9-11 chord (just as an example) is really essential to me. I know I could just be playing in chromatic all the time - but the big problem with chromatic is that there are not enough keys for me to be able to traverse octaves easily. Chromatic provides 1.33 octaves, which is not reliable enough to do anything along these lines.

Making the Eigenharp Pico into an electronic harp intrigues me. In the orchestra I play with I had the experience of arranging music for use with the harp and studied its setup with all of the pedals to shift the strings into different modes and learned a lot about what it is capable of and what it is not. Fascinating instrument. Had some really interesting conversations with the harpist about what to do and not to do. Not sure how practical this is with only 16 keys available to me (still does not let me play the above example when improvising [careful planning it would let me]), but, with customizable "pedal" mode shifts it would be a real improvement.

If I could use the mrdoran's suggestion with the two function keys (scroll keys) AND move them to the center, that would at least be a good interim kluge.

~Seth

Sat, 27 Nov 2010 23:29:13 +0000 GMT

I just got my pico today and am already having a blast with it. After spending half a day with it I have quickly run into the stumbling blocks involving octaves and accidentals of which I see there are so many other posts about. While I do not expect the same kind of full chromaticism with any note I want in any octave available at a moment's notice like I get on my Yamaha WX-5 wind MIDI controller (the affordances of the pico simply do not allow for this kind of functionality), I do see some potential to remap the existing keys into something possibly more usable utilizing the workbench.

Once I figure out how to use all of the software I intend to take a stab at it myself - but just in case someone else has already done this, I figured I might as well ask. Plus, any additional usability input would be valued.

Here is the meat of my idea. The bottom two keys in the default setup are dedicated to scrolling. While I see some potential use for this, I would be willing to give up this utility in favor of being able to play accidentals. The idea is that two of the 18 keys would be dedicated to half step up/half step down (not sure how the command language in the workbench allows this - maybe the implementation is that it bends the pitch up/down a full half step).

An example of this implementation is to press the half step up key and then press a key that plays the note C, bending it up a half step into a C#. Or, if you pressed the half step down button and the C key, it would play a Cb (aka a B natural).

The question of which two keys to use should be customizable. My personal preference from some fiddling with different ways to hold the instrument would be to make the two central keys the up/down keys, the top hand plays the top 8 keys and the bottom hand plays the bottom 8 keys. This - for me (although it would require further testing) - provides the greatest flexibility. In this manner, it also brings your bottom hand one row of keys closer to the bottom, allowing the little finger easier quick access to the octave keys. Not the most ideal setup (again, I cannot expect the amazing flexibility of my WX-5 here), but the idea to me seems meritorious enough to experiment with.

Any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated.

~Seth

written by: natcl

Sun, 28 Nov 2010 16:21:57 +0000 GMT

Hi Seth, I did a proof of concept in Max/MSP that allows to play accidentals quite easily. The basic idea is that to play a sharp note, you hit the second key following the key of the pitch you want to play and to play a flat you press the previous key. I think it works quite well, you can try it for yourself here.

The key layout can be seen here

You don't need to own Max to run this, the free runtime will do :
http://cycling74.com/downloads/

(link for the runtime is in the rightmost column.)

Tell me what you think !

written by: prstorms

Sun, 28 Nov 2010 19:51:20 +0000 GMT

I must say I like the idea of having a two-key half step up/down option, even on an Alpha... it would allow for use of a condensed keyboard (more splits) and would make fingering easier. Any ideas on how to do it? Experts?

Thanks,
Pat

Tue, 30 Nov 2010 21:01:17 +0000 GMT

That Max implementation is pretty nice - even if a bit processor/memory intensive. However, it only works for monophonic playing.

Thinking about my proposal some more, it presents some difficulties with polyphonic playing. Let us say I am playing in the key of C major and wanted to do a rapid chord progression that required flats or sharps - what do I do? How is this even possible? With the step up/down keys pressed - the software would not necessarily know which of the keys to apply the step up/down to. Would I have to hold down the step key the entire time the affected note(s) were held down or could I release the step key and press it for another note while still holding down the old note without the old note changing back?

After playing the instrument for a while longer I am starting to think that it is just not designed to be able to ever play accidentals. Is it really true that I could never ever, for example, play jazz on it and rapidly move back and forth between modes within the same phrase? Pretty much everything I would ever want to play requires me to be able to change keys or play accidentals somewhere in it - sometimes frequently. Is this instrument going to be permanently limiting me to play in one key/scale/octave without having to stop for x number of bars to swap just so I can play - best case scenario - one different note, then stop for x number of bars so I can change back again?

My plan with this instrument was to be able to utilize it in an eclectic chamber orchestra that already includes me on wind MIDI controller. We perform a lot of interesting stuff from Monteverdi to Stockhausen to David Bowie - and literally everything has key changes or accidentals in it somewhere.

Since the Alpha and Tau use the same software and therefore run on the same principles, how is this problem solved - if at all - on them?

~Seth

written by: mikemilton

Tue, 30 Nov 2010 22:15:22 +0000 GMT

um... well one *can* always choose the chromatic scale. BTW, on the pico, It does help to set the 'root' note to minimize octave switching for the piece being played.

m

PS: I ply WX5/7 are you an Akai or a Yamaha player? Lots of my 'old' stuff transfers over nicely on mono (typically using a VL1M synth which works quite nicely with the 'harps as well)

written by: keyman

Wed, 1 Dec 2010 01:02:21 +0000 GMT

There are some more "tricks" you can use:
- Custom scales ( where one can easily achieve even microtonal scales) with as many notes you choose. ( my last PICO vid as a small example ) Bach
- MIDI switching while you're playing - changing scales and tonics (scales pre defined by user). Think there are musicians using pedal boards with lots of switches for this.

I have a show that is based on SMPT timecode and MIDI timecode, so I just "dropped" all my scale and tonic changes and away I magically play without any fuzz.

I also come from the old school wind instruments and I really love the AKAI EVI approach, dealing with few keys to play.
For those don't know, EVI stands for electronic Valve instrument, and pickup the brass instruments way of playing, trumpet for example. With 7 keys and various combinations in between, (the EVI) you could play all notes, there was also some 5 or 6 dedicated octave rollers...
Even the recent Akai EWI4000S has a special EVI mode that allows brass players to play the EWI.
And this is my point - different fingering modes, could be the answer...

Maybe if John get to read this could put some light, and a wise comment as always he does.

As for "real" polyphonic playing... get a Tau or an Alpha.

Keyman

written by: john

Wed, 1 Dec 2010 08:34:14 +0000 GMT

We have a feature request ticket that has now been around since before we launched in 2009 believe it or not, to add up/down variation values to all our scales. This would enable the scaler to step away from the scale interval by increments using modifier keys, so one could define suitable modifiers by scale (which is kind of needed for this to work as the obvious modifiers are not the same for the major scale as they might be for the blues scale, for example). Related features are to add the ability in the scaler for the pitchbend range to use these modifiers to adapt itself key by key to use them, and the ability to apply a seperate intonation table to make defining alternative tempers easier (this can be done at the moment, but it is a little clumsy as one has to define separate scales for each kind of temperament).

Seeing that there is obviously quite a lot of interest in this, I'll see if we can move the basic scale modifier feature up the queue. Out of interest, which out of this feature or a fingering agent (to be able to play a wider range monphonicallyusing woodwind style fingerings) do the Pico players here think more important?

John

written by: dhjdhj

Wed, 1 Dec 2010 10:40:00 +0000 GMT

I solved this issue on my alpha by getting a setup from eigenlabs that reconfigured the keys to guitar tuning, essentially the top 5 strings of a guitar. That has worked extremely well for me so far.

Seth said:
Since the Alpha and Tau use the same software and therefore run on the same principles, how is this problem solved - if at all - on them?

~Seth

Wed, 1 Dec 2010 11:23:04 +0000 GMT

@john - When played Pico, I really wanted a mono-fingering mode similar to the WX5 or AKAI sax-style approach. Valve fingering might actually work better but there are probably fewer people for whom that approach is part of their existing bag of tricks.

That said, I think (even for the Pico) adding up/down variations is a (much) more promising (and potentially very rich) approach.

Geert had a (midi?) filter early on that put a 'flat spot' in pitchbend which could probably be adapted (and perhaps moved to yaw) such that tapping each key has 3 notes (center, right and left = note, #, b). Tinkering with the 'breakpoints' would likely yield something playable. I sometimes play 'duets' on the 2osc sampler by playing only the sides of the keys - yaw is not just for crossfades hehehe.

@dhjdhj - I can see how replicating a guitar note pattern helps find the notes but it isn't clear to me how this touches on the issue of having all the chromatic-scale semitones available to play. As an aside, try some alternate guitar tunings. Drobo (G)BDGBD works quite nicely - just think of your left index finger as a steel.

@keyman - yup that strange behaviour when the 'harp hears midi is a feature not a bug (really). The (venerable) MFC from Yanaha is OK but it would (will?) be nice to automate/sequence in stage.

cheers, m

Wed, 1 Dec 2010 11:41:53 +0000 GMT

Hi Mike

We did experiment a little with gestural ideas to produce accidentals and off scale variations, but when you look at the actual key data you realise that the only way that this can be made to work well (even more so if you have to output to MIDI or and AU/VST at any point where the note pitch is the first thing transmitted) is to introduce latency, possibly quite a bit of it. I think this is an interesting area that we may have another go at sometime in 2011, but finding the right compromises is not obvious or trivial, so it might be a while yet..

John

Wed, 1 Dec 2010 13:16:02 +0000 GMT

It was just a thought... I think I was just considering a step rather than a curve for PB. Small inputs leave the note at the assigned one, past a threshold the note steps up/down to the accidental.

That said, one clearly does not want the base (centre?) note to sound so there would necessarily be some delay. Also it *would* be an 'interesting' exercise to get the threshold and transition right. Also, one would want to have a hold / resound strategy for instances where one wants to play, say e, eb, e.

I'm always interested by how your answers open up the thinking required to actually go in the direction under discussion. It astounds me how much thought and insight are already embodied in the platform.

m

Wed, 1 Dec 2010 13:33:52 +0000 GMT

Hi Mike

You could of course try something like this yourself already. The new roll or yaw window that Jim introduced in 1.3 (which enables one to restrict the range of key movement that the key produces its full yaw range over) coupled with setting whatever pitch range you want to have for you accidentals as the pitchbend might prove interesting if you set the roll window very tight, say 10% rather than the more normal 90 or 100% (which is the default up to now). Small key movements off the middle would then produce the full pitchbend range, which might be an interesting if more challenging way to play. I'd love to know if you give this a go..

John

Wed, 1 Dec 2010 20:13:05 +0000 GMT

There is some interesting and useful discussion going on here.

I play a Yamaha WX5 and have both a VL70-m and a VL1 series 2 tone generators. I have not tried to hook them up and play them through the Pico's MIDI control yet. Instead, I have mostly been focusing on finger training (pulled out some of my old Rubank Advanced Clarinet Method books and have been going through them to build up finger memory). There was an older thread discussing extreme latency through the VL70-m. Are you experiencing any latency using the VL1?

Being able to apply modifiers to the scale via scroll is a nice idea that I look forward to trying out. With a bit of careful planning before I play, I could load a layout that would allow me to do all sorts of stuff with that. For example, one key could apply modifiers based on how I press the key, and the other key could apply octave modifiers.

Assuming the level of control I am imagining is possible at all, let alone without significant latency, this could be amazingly robust.

For example, the middle left key would be octave, and I could scroll up one octave by pressing any level of up and scroll down one octave by pressing any level of down (it seems best to me from a user perspective to map it so that any value entered into pitch or yaw would equate to one level of movement [or two levels of movement in the case of yaw]). Pressing any level of left could scroll up 2 octaves and any level of right could scroll right 2 octaves. Pressing the key would return me to the initial (default) octave. The scaler modification key could work the same way.

Using pedals or footboards is a nice option if you have them. If I did I would definitely be looking into that (I have been wanting a Yamaha MFC10 for years). Anyone who has them I definitely encourage to make the most of the wonderful synergies you can build with them. However, my focus is on trying to make the most with the standalone Pico hardware interface. This means trying to make the software as robust and customizable as possible. Carrying around a laptop and the Pico with me would be so much more convenient than carrying around the WX-5, 1+ tone generators, a foot switch (when I eventually get one), pedals, etc. This is part of why I got this instrument - the potential for such amazing customizable robustness in a small package (that and the layered recorder made me drool - because then I do not have to deal with a separate looping pedal recorder and organizing the loops and playback through a separate piece of software).

Before all of this wonderfulness can be accomplished, these basic features are necessary. More than anything else, both of these features (or some other solution to octave/accidentals in mono/polyphonic performance) need to be in place for me to be able to perform in any meaningful way.

Thanks for all of the good dialogue so far.
~Seth

Thu, 2 Dec 2010 11:26:30 +0000 GMT

@seth: Coincidentally, I was playing my VL1m(2) yesterday with the Alpha via midi. This worked fine. I used MidiPipe to connect the EigenD midi out to a physical midi out and to convert the breath to cc2 (a simplistic but effective solution)

That older discussion was raised by me but clearly something has changed in the interim (I don't move all my older gear to my summer place so it is just now being used again).

It is actually quite difficult to play pitch and yaw independently, particularly if you are playing chords and moreso if you are using pressure. My tinkering suggests that one really needs to create a largish 'flat spot' where nothing happens until there is a significant input. Also, if you are going to shift only one note in a chord, then you need to have multiple channels of midi as was discussed in a recent webinar in the context of achieving a form of poly-bending. In effect, you want a semitone bend that is abrupt and a technique to 'pre-bend' (such as putting a delay in front of the note attack. Although this creates the issue of latency John mentioned above)

BTW: MFCs are regularly available on ebay. There may be lots of more interesting foot controllers out there, but having a WX input is not on their radar

m

written by: dhjdhj

Thu, 2 Dec 2010 14:36:09 +0000 GMT

Works just like a real guitar --- I can play in any key I want. Granted there's already a chromatic scale tuning built-in but it's more suitable for violin/cello players and since I already know guitar fingering, it was easier to have that tuning.

Agree completely with your suggestions for other open tunings but I'm kind of stuck until I can get some help to more easily be able to change the tunings ---- right now it's just too complicated for me.

mikemilton said:
@dhjdhj - I can see how replicating a guitar note pattern helps find the notes but it isn't clear to me how this touches on the issue of having all the chromatic-scale semitones available to play. As an aside, try some alternate guitar tunings. Drobo (G)BDGBD works quite nicely - just think of your left index finger as a steel.

written by: mrdoran

Sun, 2 Jan 2011 23:35:00 +0000 GMT

In the Factory Scripts (Open Eigen Browser then hit Mode + Key 4 then hit Key 8) - there is a list of scripts under "Octave Key Transposition"

These allow you to set the function of the octave keys to a different interval
For example the script called "Major Second"
"description
Remap octave talkers Makes the octave up and
down buttons transpose by a Major 2nd (one
tone) instead.

This script should be run with pico setups only

script
empty join kgroup 1 listen talker 6 listen
all phrase cancel
octave by 0.16666666666666666 when 1 up
octave by 0.16666666666666666 when 2 down
"

I would think that you could use the same format to create a user script (which you store in Eigenlabs/scripts) that would modify the interval to just a semitone up or down and that may solve your problem ?

Mark

Fri, 28 Jan 2011 16:34:40 +0000 GMT

The issue with changing the octave key is threefold:

1) I really need the octave keys to be there so I can change octaves. Everything I play requires more than the two octaves available when using a standard western scale. I use the octave keys a lot.

2) The octave keys are too far away to press quickly and reliably for this purpose. My fingers are small and it is too far for me to reliably stretch my little finger over the function keys (scroll keys) quickly and accurately to press an octave key for a quick accidental and then press the other one to go back again. As an aside, my preference of having the function keys (that is, the scroll keys in the default setup) in the middle instead of the bottom would make accessing the octave keys so much easier.

3) It does not solve the problem at all of wanting to play a polyphonic chord with one note different. I play a lot of modal stuff. The ability to suddenly just add a flat 9th when playing a 1-4-9-11 chord (just as an example) is really essential to me. I know I could just be playing in chromatic all the time - but the big problem with chromatic is that there are not enough keys for me to be able to traverse octaves easily. Chromatic provides 1.33 octaves, which is not reliable enough to do anything along these lines.

Making the Eigenharp Pico into an electronic harp intrigues me. In the orchestra I play with I had the experience of arranging music for use with the harp and studied its setup with all of the pedals to shift the strings into different modes and learned a lot about what it is capable of and what it is not. Fascinating instrument. Had some really interesting conversations with the harpist about what to do and not to do. Not sure how practical this is with only 16 keys available to me (still does not let me play the above example when improvising [careful planning it would let me]), but, with customizable "pedal" mode shifts it would be a real improvement.

If I could use the mrdoran's suggestion with the two function keys (scroll keys) AND move them to the center, that would at least be a good interim kluge.

~Seth

Please log in to join the discussions